Tuesday, September 08, 2009

 

Things Republicans Taught Me

Today was the first day of school in many parts of the country. Others have already been back to school for a week or two, and here in New York City the first day of school is tomorrow.

Over the past seven years I have worked as a teaching artist in the New York City schools, teaching theater skills and using theatrical techniques in cross curriculum programs. I have developed design based programs that employ drawing and painting that are secretly math lessons. I have taught painting techniques that can be used in high end restaurants and hotels, creating faux finishes. Most of the schools that I have worked in are on the "impact list," a euphemism for places that require more police presence.

In my elementary school years we were told in school to fear and suspect people from other countries, that they were up to no good, that they hated America and Americans for their freedom. I was told by family members that I should never tell anyone that our grandparents were Russian, even though they came here to make a better life and provide us with a better life than they had growing up. People would say that our family were a bunch of pinko commies.

Today, President Obama made a much anticipated speech. This speech upset some people. There were people in many parts of the country that took exception to the President of the United States telling school children lessons of responsibility. They felt that his message was propaganda. They said that President Obama is a pinko commie. That his speech is some skewed opinion to stay in school, value their education and study hard. I know this must be a terrible thing for these people to hear. All their lived they were told things like 'too smart for your own good' and 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.' Now, they have a fear of knowledge.

I don't believe he is a pinko commie. Actually he's pretty much in the middle of the road, now that he's in the White House. Even if he were a pinko commie, he was elected quite handily by a clear majority of voting citizens.

The Republican party has gone from being a thoughtful bunch lead by intelligent people like Everett Dirksen, to being dominated by a shrill pack of hate mongers who believe that it is an expression of patriotism to bring an assault weapon to a town hall meeting. They believe that intimidation of law abiding citizens is a perfectly reasonable method of getting one's point across. They say our President is a pinko commie, and our country is sliding toward a terrible finish. They are telling these things to our young, impressionable school children. I know this, because I received a call from a young, impressionable child. My cousin has school-aged children, and her daughter came home from school crying.

"What's wrong, sweetie?"
"Mrs. Jones told me that President Obama is a pinko commie, and anyone who voted for him was duped, and that America is coming to an end!"
"Mrs. Jones is wrong, and I can prove it. We'll call cousin Rob. He knows about all things pinko commie. He was a pinko himself back in the sixties."

I picked up the phone to a crying child. I knew that it was my mission to put this poor child right. I explained to her that Mrs. Jones was all wet.

"You know that people can say just about anything, and it's not always true. I think that President Obama is right. You should learn as much as you can and evaluate things based on your knowledge. Have you ever heard the expression 'take it with a grain of salt?'"
"Yes, but I don't know what it means."
"Well, how much does a grain of salt weigh?"
"Hardly anything."
"Right. Less than a fly. Well, that's how much weight you should give the opinion of some people."
She brightened immediately. "You're right!"

I went on to drive my point home.

"And isn't that what President Obama's message was? Learn as much as you can so that you can make good decisions based on knowledge and truth? Do you think that's a message of someone who's un-American?"
"No."
"Of course not."

I went further, knowing the child needed to be comforted.

"You know, people like Mrs. Jones are the real enemy."
"Really?"
"I think she should be reported to the F.B.I. and that she should have her taxes audited."
"Really?"
"Oh, yes. Mrs. Jones might even be a deep cover terrorist."

Her eyes grew wide. I could tell this, even on the phone. "Do you really think so?"
"Absolutely!"
"She's dangerous?"
"No question."
"What do you think she might do?"
"Oh, just about anything! I'll bet she's selling nuclear secrets to the North Koreans!"

Let no one say I don't know how to comfort children. I learned it in school from Republicans.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?